It is summer time and for the first time in 3 or 4 years, I have actually managed to get a lot of work done. The summer provides an interesting question to every college student.
What would you do if you had 2 months to yourself?
This time comes with no strings attached. There is no pressure of academic curriculum or any major peer pressure. This time is basically what you want to do with your time and how you want to use it. You could lie on your bed or you could work 24×7 on various internships and some personal goals. The only pressure that comes is from within about how you should be utilizing your time and being productive. This is also the time when you have the war between motivation and procrastination within yourself.
The last two summers I have had, of 2016 and 2017 were not my best ones. The one in 2016 was almost an insatiable demon taking over my mind as I regularly harmed myself and had suicidal thoughts. I felt like I had wasted a whole year and that I didn’t deserve to live. It was a very tough time for me where I regularly fought against my own mind, mostly on the losing side. 2017 was more lenient on me. I was on my road to recovery and I had a future clear in my mind. I wasn’t so sure about the choice I had made but I convinced myself that it was for my own good. I had been mildly more productive but I still had recurring thoughts of self pity and hate.
This summer though, I had taken a decision to be as productive as possible. I had a lot of time to make up for and I have been trying to do my best to have 3 summers worth of work done in this 1 summer. So as the halfway mark of the summer passes, I feel it is fitting to have a review of it as well.
This summer, I have done or achieved the following, (which I had not for quite some time)
- Published an eBook (A to Z of Mental Health: An eBook)
- Worked out more than 2 hours a day, for 6 days a week
- Spent time with my pugs and family
- Learnt how to swim
- Announced my intentions to start a YouTube channel
- Helped 4 people (so far) who felt comfortable in reaching out to me
- Recorded at least 4 videos for the YouTube channel (Editing pending)
- Been at peace with who I am and what I wish to be
- Written multiple blog posts (Yes, I will be stingy and include this)
- Partnered up with various Online Therapy providers to provide professional care to people who reach out to me
- Re-connected with some old friends, albeit accidently.
- Distributed masks to construction workers to protect them from high dust and air pollution
- Connected with fellow bloggers and made new friends
And last but not the least,
Been happy and felt alive
Share the things you have done this summer and what do you have planned next. It could be anything from climbing Mount Everest to climbing out of bed. We are different people and have different goals, the will to achieve them though, should be there.
Feel free to contact me if you feel like you’ve been struggling with your own thoughts and need some guidance or someplace to vent, I would be happy to help.